Monday, June 20, 2011

Dear Last Day of School,

First of all, thank you for being sunny and nice. What a perfect way to start summer, with actual sunshine! I know the kids were glad for it. Especially those three girls I ran into wearing loaner P.E. shorts because their own carefully chosen last day outfits were too short for school. I love having the "you are more than your body" conversations with 12 year-olds...they almost get it. It was nice to not worry about rain as we waved goodbye to the raucous buses full of our departing students.

I also wanted to thank you for not being quite as bittersweet as other years have been. I finally realized how my mother could be so excited to see her children grow up and go away. I am so excited for my little sixth graders to move on to the next grade and their new adventures and experiences. There was only one girl that made me almost cry...and she and her sister will forever have a place in my heart! I loved being able to hug those little terrors and then push them out the door with a broad smile and a loud "Good Bye!"

I am very grateful for each day that added up to you, Last Day. What a good year we had! I learned something everyday. I really did! I learned more about the content, the craft of teaching, the delicate balance of teacher and "friend" that always seems to be tipping one way or the other, the ins and outs of this particular cohort, the sometimes subtle but more often glaring process of maturity mental, emotional, and physical. I learned to love them all, even the ones I wanted to throw things at... I learned to let their love touch my heart too. I learned that everyday ended. That was maybe the greatest lesson, and I try to keep that in mind every day. Every moment.

Oh, Last Day, I am always so excited to see you! We all look forward to you, but I have to say, I'm a little sad now that you're gone. I know you will come back sooner than it feels, but I wish you could just last a little longer. I wouldn't mind pausing for just a moment longer to give one more hug, to fight back one more tear, to laugh at one more stupid and juvenile joke. Just one more moment.

See you next year! Love,

Miss Deighton
Team Extreme Language Arts
CRMS

No comments:

Post a Comment